Councilmember Raul Peralez is a lifelong resident of San José and is currently serving as the Councilmember for San José Council District 3, encompassing the city’s downtown core and surrounding neighborhoods. Raul left his career with the San José Police Department after eight years, becoming the first active duty officer in the history of San José to be elected into public office.
Raul was motivated to run for office because he saw an opportunity to further support his community. As an active resident, Raul was Vice President of the Rosemary Gardens Neighborhood Association, he served on the Santa Clara County Human Relations Commission, and as an avid volunteer in our community.
As your elected representative, Raul has been a leader on several key issues facing the City. He has tackled public safety needs, the housing crisis, and transportation improvements, as well as helped spur sustainable and equitable economic development, all while maintaining quality city services for residents. Raul also represents the City on several regional and state boards and committees as a voice for the Capital of Silicon Valley.
In early 2017, Raul married Victoria Ramirez. They live in the Rosemary Gardens neighborhood of greater downtown San José with their two dogs, Zoey and Birkin.
Committees and Boards
- Public Safety, Finance, & Strategic Services Committee (Chair)
- Neighborhood Services & Education Committee
- Development Services Committee
- Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG) Executive Board
- ABAG Administrative Committee
- Airport Commission (Liaison)
- Caltrain Peninsula Corridor Joint Powers Board
- Capitol Corridor Joint Powers Board
- Downtown Parking Board (Liaison)
- Hammer Theater Advisory Committee
- League of California Cities – Latino Caucus
- Mayor’s Gang Prevention Task Force
- Team San Jose Board
- Santa Clara County Reentry Network
- Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority Board
- Santa Clara VTA Policy Advisory Board – Diridon Station
- Safety, Security, and Transit Planning and Operations (SSTPO)